The Renton Community Foundation will award over $30,000 in scholarships in 2013. Please read the information below to determine which scholarships you may qualify for. You may apply for more than one scholarship, provided you meet the qualifications. Then visit our website at www.rentonfoundation.org to access the universal application. These scholarships are also available on www.washboard.org.
All applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be enrolled in a full or part-time program at an accredited two or four-year college or vocational, technical or trade school.
- Earn a family annual income of $50,000 or below, or demonstrate financial need.
- Must live within the Renton School District boundaries or have graduated from a Renton High School.
HELEN DYRDAL MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The Helen Dyrdal Memorial Scholarship Program considers applications in each of the following three categories. Applicants must decide which category is the best fit and submit an application for that specific award.
1) Helen Dyrdal Undergraduate Scholarship: Students who have achieved Sophomore standing or above at a four-year college or university. (Running Start students, who will acquire sufficient credits by June 2013 to qualify for an AA or AS degree, would qualify for this award.)
2) Helen Dyrdal Graduate Scholarship: Graduate students working towards a degree in a “helping profession”. A helping profession is defined as: a profession addressing problems in a person’s physical, psychological, intellectual, emotional or spiritual well-being, including medicine, psychology, social work, education, or ministry. It could also include a degree in non-profit management.
3) Helen Dyrdal Trade Scholarship: Individuals pursuing a specific trade certification or degree program at a trade school, technical school or community college.
- Awards typically range between $1,000 - $5,000 in each category.
DR. DOLORES GIBBONS SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants must have graduated from a Renton high school and be pursuing a degree in education or teaching.
- Awards range between $500 - $1,000.
BETTY JACOBSEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Open to anyone who is on record for having attended one or more of the following three schools:
- St. Anthony School of Renton, WA
- John F. Kennedy High School in Burien, WA
- Eastside Catholic High School in Bellevue, WA
- Awards are dependent on available funds, but typically range between $1,000 - $2,500.
CARL & BETTY ROCHET SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants must be pursuing a four-year degree in the field of communications or journalism.
- Awards range between $500 - $2,500.
JEREMY GIDLUND MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
- Specifically for students enrolled in the Special Education Program or who access special education services in the Renton School District.
- Awards range from $500 - $2,500.
Please note: This scholarship has a separate set of guidelines and application form. Please see your school counselor or special education counselor, or go back and click on the Jeremy Gidlund Scholarship link to get the application.
All scholarships are awarded through a competitive process, so attention to letters of recommendation and your personal essay are important.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Awards may be used for tuition, school fees, and academic expenses such as books and test fees. Awards will not be granted for housing, food, transportation or utilities.
- Scholarships are not automatically renewable. An updated application must be submitted each year funds are available. Receipt of an award in a previous year is not a factor in the selection process the following year.
- Applications will not be returned. Please print a copy for your records.
- Monies will be disbursed through the school’s Financial Aid Office. If conditions change under which this scholarship was awarded (the student does not complete his/her enrollment or decides to change programs), the Foundation must be notified immediately. In such circumstances, the Foundation reserves the right to cancel the scholarship or request a refund.
A completed application (including financial information and public relations release), and all attachments must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 19, 2013. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Please carefully review your application packet before submission to make sure all required information is included:
- Personal essay (not more than one page, single sided) highlighting your academic and community achievements and outlining your personal goals as related to the awarding of this scholarship.
- Two current letters of recommendation from former employers, advisors, professors/teachers or volunteer supervisors, dated within the past 12 months on school, business or organizational letterhead. Please include phone numbers. Letters should address your work habits, character, pursuit of academic or career goals and your relationship to the person writing the letter. No letters from relatives will be accepted.
- Verification of admittance to educational institution of choice.
- Most recent official transcript(s). (Not required for certification programs.)
Your completed application must be typed and contain 2 full copies, collated and paper clipped (not stapled) in the following order:
Mail (do not fax or email) completed applications to:
The Renton Community Foundation
P.O. Box 820
Renton, WA 98057
For questions, call or email Lynn Bohart, FAHP, Executive Director:
(425) 282-5199 email@example.com
*Digital form is available on our website at www.rentonfoundation.org
PLEASE NOTE: We accept applications through general mail delivery to our post office box ONLY. If you hand deliver your application to the downtown post office in Renton, be sure it arrives by the deadline and the P.O. Box number is clearly written on the outside of the envelope. Applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 19, 2013.